- Company Overview
- Employee Testimonials
View open positions in the following departments:
- Product Support / Technical
Inside Sales Consultant
Be challenged, Be rewarded, Be confident of your career choice Click to hear our radio ad!
Are you a high energy self-starter who is motivated to succeed? Are you interested in partnering with horticultural businesses nationwide to provide cost effective and timely solutions for their tool and supply needs? Are you interested in joining a company with a world-class reputation, competitive compensation and excellent benefits? Then the A.M. Leonard company is the place for you.
If you are a seasoned sales professional with a proven record of success you may fit our Account Manager program. This position offers a base salary with uncapped commission and bonus potential. Our account managers partner with our largest customers to provide solutions for their needs and to assist them in growing their businesses.
If you have decided that you want a career, and not just a job our Associate Account Manager program may be the fit for you. Do you have a passion for talking to customers, a natural curiosity and a desire to design your own future? If you are motivated to succeed you could work with our business-to-business customers while earning a base hourly rate with uncapped commission and bonus potential.
We continue to build on our 129-year legacy of providing quality products and superior service to the horticultural industry. A.M. Leonard is committed to recruiting, hiring and retaining talented people for our Corporate Account Manager program to help us achieve our goals. When you join us you’ll become part of an innovative culture that helps our customers grow and prosper. We are dedicated to ensuring employees have the resources needed to care for themselves and their families. Our culture, our environment, our services and products, and most of all, our people, make this a great place to work.
What’s In It for You?
- Competitive compensation: base pay with unlimited commission and an established customer base
- Monthly and annual bonus programs
- Average first-year earnings: $32,000 to $44,000
- Progressive potential growth: Current top performers earning $60,000 - $100,000+
- Training Program
- 401(k) with company vesting and matching
- Medical, vision, dental insurance
- Superior work environment
What We Want:
- Passion for selling and building relationships
- Horticultural experience or interest preferred, but not mandatory
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, an entrepreneurial spirit, and high degree of ownership and accountability for achieving results
- Ability to quickly learn new information and adapt to a changing industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize, multi-task and prioritize opportunities
- Strong keyboarding skills
- Digitally savvy; strong proficiency with MS Office and the Internet as a research and sales tool
What to do Next:
If you think you have what it takes, please follow these steps:
- Call our Recruiting Line at (937) 381-1333. You will have up to five minutes to give us your name and answer three questions.
- Tell us something significant about yourself that we cannot read in your resume.
- Tell us what most attracts you to this position.
- Tell us what qualities or characteristics that you possess that would make you successful in this position.
- Send your resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Pre-employment drug testing and a Background Check are required. EOE
DO YOU HAVE EXPERTISE IN NURSERY OPERATIONS? ARE YOU A LANDSCAPING PROFESSIONAL?
IF SO WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU SELECT PRODUCTS FOR OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS!
Our Merchandising department sources the best products throughout the U.S. and across the globe. Our teams have an entrepreneurial spirit and maintain our product lines while actively seeking opportunities for growth. Product Managers are essential to A.M. Leonard’s success through their focused approach to product and industry knowledge while bringing new and innovative items to the market.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred or five years of related experience
- Project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects
- Persuasive written and verbal communicator and negotiator
- Organized and analytical, with relentless attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Horticultural background such as experience in landscaping, nursery work or growing is a plus
- We are also looking for international buying experience
Major Areas of Accountability
- Master your product categories and industry – understand what's happening now and tomorrow in the marketplace
- Develop effective and creative negotiation strategies with manufacturers to maintain A.M. Leonard’s competitive advantage
- Build strong relationships with suppliers to uphold our quality and performance standards
- Conduct detailed analysis of sales history, customer and competitive data.
- Research and source new product recommendations for catalog and amleo.com – visit manufacturers, meet with vendors and attend trade shows
- Establish and maintain all pricing; vendor, landed and list
- Analyze current product pricing and performance to maximize profit
- Provide Purchasing with all vendor information, new product sheets, new vendor sheets, and special instructions; including pricing, packaging, labeling, shipping, delivery, etc.
- Provide Purchasing with initial annual sales forecast
- Create and maintain all product copy and technical information for catalog, amleo.com, and promotional content
- Provide creative and promotional direction for your product lines to Marketing for all channels; catalog, amleo.com, promotion, tradeshows, etc.
- Manage overstock, obsolete inventory and special ordered items
- Support Purchasing on product planning and availability
- Review all overseas, early buys and significant purchase orders to ensure pricing, packaging and availability are correct
- Maintain the Merchandising report to ensure your items are properly categorized
- Inspect all overseas and significant shipments upon receipt to ensure quality packaging, labeling, etc.
- Initiate all returns and credits for all overseas and significant shipments with damaged, missing or incorrect shipments, packaging or labeling errors
- Provide product support for Sales team
- A.M. Leonard offers compensation based on background and experience, an excellent benefits package and a superior work environment.
- Skills testing, a Pre-employment Drug Test and Background Check are required. Please send resumes to email@example.com EOE
Product Support Department Manager
This position leads our Technical Support Team in educating and providing customer service to our salespeople and to our customers. The Product Support Department provides information on our complete line of horticultural tools and supplies and offers solutions to the needs of both the home gardener and the professional. This department also sources for new or different products that meet the specific requirements of our customers.
Green Industry background is required with experience specifically in landscape maintenance, nursery operations and power equipment. Other required skill sets include; effective communications, technical and mathematical ability and computer and internet expertise specifically with Microsoft Office products. Training experience would also be an asset.
Major Areas of Accountability:
• Information Management, Catalog Corrections, Management of the Product Support (PS) Files,
Sourcing, Training and Customer Service
This department functions in a dynamic call center environment that is very fast paced and interruption rich. This leadership position demands an individual who can process and relay large amounts of information, problem solve, prioritize and delegate.
•A.M. Leonard offers compensation based on background and experience, an excellent benefits package and a superior work environment.
•A Pre-employment Drug Test and Background Check are required. Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org EOE
In 1885, Ashbel Merrel Leonard started a nursery as a hobby in his backyard in Piqua, Ohio. By 1912 he and his sons Parker and Stanley established A.M. Leonard & Sons as a nursery/landscaping service. The business was further developed in 1928 when A. M. and his youngest son John started a wholesale horticultural tool and supply company serving nursery and landscape customers. In 1941, following the death of A. M. Leonard, John became the President of the company. John’s forte was customer service. He mailed out 7,500 pocket-sized catalogs per year and monitored the purchases of each customer. John kept impeccable notes. When an order was not received from a customer within a year, John would contact the customer personally to ask how his organization might be of better service. The call usually resulted in a sale. Since only the finest quality tools were offered, customers always knew that when they bought something from the Piqua based company, they would receive the highest quality.
Howard Kyle became a partner with John Leonard in February 1964. Like the Leonard’s, Howard had a strong background in the nursery and mail order businesses. His family owned Springhill Nursery in Tipp City, Ohio. Howard quickly learned the A. M. Leonard operation. Ill health caused John Leonard to retire early, and Howard took over as sole owner inheriting a staff of 8. Howard and the staff expanded the catalog and merchandising operations emphasizing customer service, product dependability, and fast order response serving growers, landscapers, foresters, arborists, contractors, golf courses, resorts, grounds management and gardeners. In 1979 continuous growth caused the company to move again to a 20,000 square foot facility with 15 employees. Fourteen years later, in November of 1993, the company made a major commitment to its customers and the community by constructing a new 50,000 square foot facility.
In 1996, A.M. Leonard produced its first Retail Catalog to reach the serious home gardener. In 2005, as this segment of the business continued to grow, A.M. Leonard re-introduced the Retail publication as A.M. Leonard’s Gardeners Edge, offering gardeners the quality and selection they couldn’t find locally.
In 1999, A.M. Leonard introduced an industry exclusive Corporate Account Program. This service provides their professional customers with a dedicated Account Manager (single point of contact) who is truly devoted to learning and understanding their business and is invested in their continued success. Their goal will always be to meet or exceed your needs and expectations.
Also in 1999, A.M. Leonard introduced its line of A.M. Leonard Brand Tools. The A.M. Leonard line of tools offers the quality and features that most manufacturers aren’t willing to make –– all at a price that saves money and helps produce results you can stand behind.
The Internet has added another exciting dimension to the daily business activity at A.M. Leonard as their presence there continues to grow with two company web sites and sales through Amazon.com.
A.M. Leonard keeps in close touch with local customers through their Counter Sales in the company Showroom. Here professionals and homeowners enjoy picking up their product on the spot and getting right back to the job. In May 2005 Howard Kyle passed away at the age of 94 while still working six days a week. Today, under the leadership of Gregory Stephens, grandson of Howard Kyle, A.M. Leonard’s state-of-the-art Distribution facility has expanded to over 100,000 square feet with more than 100 dedicated employees. A. M. Leonard, Inc. continues today as a leader in the horticultural tool and supply business with emphasis on doing business the “old fashioned way”. They offer quality products, superior customer service and a selection of over 7,000 items. A.M. Leonard understands customers have a choice on where to shop and pledges to continue its tradition of exceptional products and service.
A.M. Leonard is dedicated to ensuring our employees have the resources needed to care for themselves and their families. Below is a snapshot of our extensive Employee Benefits Package.
Available at Hire:
- Paid Personal Time
- Additional PTO (Paid Time Off) may be earned quarterly by meeting attendance guidelines
- Accrual of Paid Vacation Time
- 2 weeks for 1 - 4 years of service
- 3 weeks after 5 years of service
- Paid Holidays
- Direct Deposit
- Bereavement Leave
- Employee Purchase Discount
- Fitness Center
Available on the first of the month following 90 days of employment:
- Medical Insurance
- Vision & Dental Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Additional PTO may be earned quarterly by participating in a company-sponsored Fitness Program and meeting attendance guidelines
- Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Health Savings Accounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Available after 1 year of employment:
- 401 (k) with company match
- Service Recognition Program
***All benefits listed are available to Fulltime Regular status employees and Part-time Regular status employees who work at least 1200 hours each year. Other Part-time or Seasonal Staff are eligible for Holiday Pay and the Employee Purchase Discount.