- Company Overview
- Employee Testimonials
View open positions in the following departments:
- Human Resources
Associate Account Manager
Be challenged, Be rewarded, Be confident of your career choice!
Are you a high energy self-starter who is motivated to succeed? Are you interested in partnering with businesses nationwide to provide cost effective solutions for their horticultural tool and supply needs? Are you ready to join a company with a world-class reputation, competitive compensation and excellent benefits?
If you have decided you want a career and not just a job, the Associate Account Manager program at A.M. Leonard Company in Piqua, OH is the place for you. This entry-level sales position works with business-to-business customers while earning a base hourly rate and uncapped commission and bonus potential.
We continue to build on our 130-year legacy of providing quality products and superior service to the horticultural industry and are committed to recruiting, hiring and retaining talented team members for our Associate Account Manager program. When you join our team you’ll become part of an innovative culture that helps our customers grow and prosper. Our culture, our environment, our services and products, and most of all, our people, make this a great place to work.
What’s In It for You?
- Competitive compensation: base hourly rate with uncapped commission and bonus potential
- Monthly and annual bonus programs
- Average first-year earnings: $28,000 - $30,000
- Training Program
- 401(k) with company vesting and matching
- Medical, vision, dental insurance
- Superior work environment
What We Want:
- Customer relations experience with an interest in building relationships with current and potential accounts
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a high degree of ownership and accountability for achieving results
- Ability to quickly learn new information and adapt to a changing industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize, multi-task and prioritize opportunities
- Digitally savvy; strong proficiency with MS Office and the internet as a research and sales tool along with strong keyboarding skills
What to do Next:
If you think you have what it takes to join our next training class on June 1st 2015:
- Call our Recruiting Line at (937) 381-1300. You will have up to 5 minutes to give us your name and answer these 3 questions:
- Tell us something significant about yourself that we cannot read in your resume.
- Tell us what most attracts you to this position.
- Tell us what qualities or characteristics you possess that would make you successful in this position.
Then: Send your resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please put Associate Account Manager in the subject line.
An A.M. Leonard Buyer is to perform all purchasing duties in a responsible manner, under the direction of the Purchasing Manager. These duties include maintaining pricing, inventory control, quality control and the direction of related accounting functions. Each Buyer is to become an integral part of the Purchasing Department through direct involvement in establishing department policies, procedures and forecasting.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of purchasing, product information relating to individual suppliers and their warehousing methods and inventory control procedures
- Communication skills both oral and written including proper grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary including telephone techniques and etiquette
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Ability to evaluate different purchasing/inventory control issues and make decisions based on A.M. Leonard’s policies and procedures
- Interpret and explain existing policies and procedures relating to A.M. Leonard and analyze, evaluate and suggest modifications of purchasing methods and procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment including a computer terminal and related software, calculator, fax machine and copier
- Strong data entry skills and the ability to make basic arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately
- The ability to understand and follow oral and written directions
- The ability to plan and organize work to meet schedules and time lines
Major Areas Of Accountability:
- Processing of Purchase Orders: determine shipping method, establish new vendor files, provide additional required information to the purchase request, assure methods of procurement are in conformance with established policies and procedures and submit completed requests to the Purchasing Manager for approval
- Prepare quotes related to supplies and equipment for corporate and inbound sales staff; discuss specifications and terms with management to assure that the specs/terms/conditions are sufficiently detailed and clear
- Communicate with vendors regarding shipments, procedures, policies and other issues and maintain vendor files
- Meet and establish business rapport with vendor representatives
- Compose Pricing Letters
- Issuance and follow up of Drop Ship orders with vendors / sales staff
- Initiate and maintain quality control of all incoming product
- Work alongside Product Managers to search for alternate suppliers who may provide better pricing and/or new or better product
- Partner with Accounts Payable to resolve vendor payment issues
- 3-5 years of purchasing experience preferred.
- High proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Must be a motivated self-starter with an exceptional sense of urgency, follow up and drive to get things done right the first time every time.
A.M. Leonard offers compensation based on background and experience, an excellent benefits package and a superior work environment. A Pre-employment Drug Test and Background Check are required. Please send resumes to email@example.com EOE
Human Resources Manager
A.M. Leonard, a leader in the horticultural tool and supply industry for 130 years, is seeking an experienced manager to lead its Human Resources Department at its Piqua, OH facility. In this role, the Human Resources Manager maintains and enhances the organization’s human capital by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices. The Human Resources Manager plays an integral role in our organizational success by fostering effective methods of goal setting, establishing, and maintaining our company culture while being an employee advocate in order to create a work environment in which people are motivated, contributing, and happy.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business, or a related field required
- 7-10 years’ experience supervising and managing a Human Resources department
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to deal comfortably with candidates and employees working in all levels of the organization from general laborers to senior management
- Demonstrates a high degree of confidentiality and common sense
- Ability to increase productivity and continuously improve methods, approaches, and departmental contributions while being cost-sensitive
- Experience in employment law, benefits coordination, employee relations, safety regulations, and communication
- Commitment to continuous learning both for oneself and for A.M. Leonard employees
- Ability to lead in an environment of constant change
- Familiarity and skill with the tools of the trade in human resources including the Microsoft Office suite of products, file management, and benefits administration
- Experience in organizational development and change management
- Experience with human resources management for multiple locations and for seasonal workers is a plus
Major Areas Of Accountability:
- Develop and maintain an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, key employee retention and development, and high performance standards.
- Create and update job requirements and job descriptions for all positions.
- Oversee the evaluation, classification, and rating of job positions.
- Hire and retain A.M. Leonard’s workforce by:
- establishing a recruiting, testing, and interviewing program
- counseling managers on candidate selection
- conducting and analyzing exit interviews
- recommending changes to all human resources programs and approaches as necessary
- Maintain records containing personnel-related data such as hires, transfers, performance reviews, and absenteeism.
- Prepare employees for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
- Analyze training needs to design employee development programs including health and safety programs.
- Ensure monitoring and appraisal of employee work results through routine performance evaluations.
- Determine causes of personnel problems and develop recommendations for improvement of the organization’s personnel policies and practices.
- Participate in conferences with employees, corrective actions, hearings and resolution of employee grievances, and counseling for employees and supervisors.
- Analyze, maintain, communicate, and modify employee benefits and wellness programs. Study and assess benefit needs and trends, recommend benefit programs to management, direct the processing of benefit claims, obtain and evaluate benefit contract bids, award benefit contracts, design and conduct educational programs for benefit programs.
- Establish management guidelines by preparing, updating and recommending human resources policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update the A.M. Leonard Employee Handbook.
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resources federal and state requirements, conducting investigations, maintaining records, and representing the organization at hearings.
- Ensure compliance with Workers’ Compensation and OSHA regulations.
- Investigate and report on industrial accidents for insurance carriers.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Serve as an Administrator for the ADP timekeeping system as well serving as a back-up to the Controller for processing payroll.
- Manage receptionist and front desk staff.
- Oversee the coordination of all company events.
- Administer the Service Recognition Program.
- Negotiate and monitor contracts with vendors that provide services to our employees such as food service or relocation services.
- Develop and administer special projects as necessary.
A.M. Leonard offers compensation based on background and experience, an excellent benefits package and a superior work environment. A Pre-employment Drug Test and Background Check are required. Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org EOE
In 1885, Ashbel Merrel Leonard started a nursery as a hobby in his backyard in Piqua, Ohio. By 1912 he and his sons Parker and Stanley established A.M. Leonard & Sons as a nursery/landscaping service. The business was further developed in 1928 when A. M. and his youngest son John started a wholesale horticultural tool and supply company serving nursery and landscape customers. In 1941, following the death of A. M. Leonard, John became the President of the company. John’s forte was customer service. He mailed out 7,500 pocket-sized catalogs per year and monitored the purchases of each customer. John kept impeccable notes. When an order was not received from a customer within a year, John would contact the customer personally to ask how his organization might be of better service. The call usually resulted in a sale. Since only the finest quality tools were offered, customers always knew that when they bought something from the Piqua based company, they would receive the highest quality.
Howard Kyle became a partner with John Leonard in February 1964. Like the Leonard’s, Howard had a strong background in the nursery and mail order businesses. His family owned Springhill Nursery in Tipp City, Ohio. Howard quickly learned the A. M. Leonard operation. Ill health caused John Leonard to retire early, and Howard took over as sole owner inheriting a staff of 8. Howard and the staff expanded the catalog and merchandising operations emphasizing customer service, product dependability, and fast order response serving growers, landscapers, foresters, arborists, contractors, golf courses, resorts, grounds management and gardeners. In 1979 continuous growth caused the company to move again to a 20,000 square foot facility with 15 employees. Fourteen years later, in November of 1993, the company made a major commitment to its customers and the community by constructing a new 50,000 square foot facility.
In 1996, A.M. Leonard produced its first Retail Catalog to reach the serious home gardener. In 2005, as this segment of the business continued to grow, A.M. Leonard re-introduced the Retail publication as A.M. Leonard’s Gardeners Edge, offering gardeners the quality and selection they couldn’t find locally.
In 1999, A.M. Leonard introduced an industry exclusive Corporate Account Program. This service provides their professional customers with a dedicated Account Manager (single point of contact) who is truly devoted to learning and understanding their business and is invested in their continued success. Their goal will always be to meet or exceed your needs and expectations.
Also in 1999, A.M. Leonard introduced its line of A.M. Leonard Brand Tools. The A.M. Leonard line of tools offers the quality and features that most manufacturers aren’t willing to make –– all at a price that saves money and helps produce results you can stand behind.
The Internet has added another exciting dimension to the daily business activity at A.M. Leonard as their presence there continues to grow with two company web sites and sales through Amazon.com.
A.M. Leonard keeps in close touch with local customers through their Counter Sales in the company Showroom. Here professionals and homeowners enjoy picking up their product on the spot and getting right back to the job. In May 2005 Howard Kyle passed away at the age of 94 while still working six days a week. Today, under the leadership of Gregory Stephens, grandson of Howard Kyle, A.M. Leonard’s state-of-the-art Distribution facility has expanded to over 100,000 square feet with more than 100 dedicated employees. A. M. Leonard, Inc. continues today as a leader in the horticultural tool and supply business with emphasis on doing business the “old fashioned way”. They offer quality products, superior customer service and a selection of over 7,000 items. A.M. Leonard understands customers have a choice on where to shop and pledges to continue its tradition of exceptional products and service.
A.M. Leonard is dedicated to ensuring our employees have the resources needed to care for themselves and their families. Below is a snapshot of our extensive Employee Benefits Package.
Available at Hire:
- Paid Personal Time
- Additional PTO (Paid Time Off) may be earned quarterly by meeting attendance guidelines
- Accrual of Paid Vacation Time
- 2 weeks for 1 - 4 years of service
- 3 weeks after 5 years of service
- Paid Holidays
- Direct Deposit
- Bereavement Leave
- Employee Purchase Discount
- Fitness Center
Available on the first of the month following 90 days of employment:
- Medical Insurance
- Vision & Dental Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Additional PTO may be earned quarterly by participating in a company-sponsored Fitness Program and meeting attendance guidelines
- Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Health Savings Accounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Available after 1 year of employment:
- 401 (k) with company match
- Service Recognition Program
***All benefits listed are available to Fulltime Regular status employees and Part-time Regular status employees who work at least 1200 hours each year. Other Part-time or Seasonal Staff are eligible for Holiday Pay and the Employee Purchase Discount.